The African American Cultural Center Library and Media Room (formerly known as the African American Cultural Center Reading Room) houses a collection of educational and leisure reading and audio/visual resources by and about Africans, African Americans and other members of the African Diaspora. The collection supports Africana Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies and the Interdisciplinary Studies Course (IDS). The African American Cultural Center Library and Media Room is an affiliate of the NC State University Libraries.
Services & Equipment
The Library has wireless access, offering an NC State University network for faculty, staff, and students, as well as a guest network for visitors. In addition, the following equipment is available:
- Computer workstations (with NC State Unity login)
- TV/VCR/DVD for viewing videocassettes and DVDs
- Black and white Telesensory Voyage Visualtek CCTV with screen magnification for the visually impaired
Using the computer workstations, users can also access library services offered through the NC State University Libraries:
- Access to the collections through the library’s search interface
- Combined access to the library catalogs of NC State, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and North Carolina Central University through the Library Catalog (choose Triangle research libraries)
- AskUs service, with staff available 24 hours to provide help IM, text message, email, or phone
- Access to digitized images and texts from the Special Collections Research Center with historical information about NC State
- Course-related services, including Course Tools and Course Reserves
- Tripsaver, for requesting books or articles not available at NC State
All library materials may be checked out of the AACC Library by NC State students, faculty, and staff only. Books can be checked out for 30 days. The maximum number of books to be checked out at one time is (4) DVDs/Videos can be checked out for 5 days. The maximum number of DVDs/videos to be checked out at one time is (2).
NOTE: To ensure that the item you are seeking is available, please call 515-1397. Library items can be placed on hold at the circulation desk for 48 hours.
Please silence all mobile devices while in the library. If you need to make a phone call, please do so in the hallway of the Witherspoon Student Center in order to not disturb the other patrons.
No food or beverage is allowed.
Witherspoon Student Center, 2nd Floor, Room 218
The AACC Library and Media Room hours are Monday – Friday 8 A.M. – 5 P.M.
Contact the AACC Library at 919-515-1397.
In addition to our library of books, we also house a small library of media. NC State students can borrow for 5 days by requesting via NC State Campus Libraries Online Catalog.
Do you have an item you would like to suggest for the library? Please use the submission form below.Suggest an item