The annual Recognizing Excellence in Diversity (RED) Event, hosted by the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity, presented the Chancellor’s Creating Community Awards in six categories on Thursday, April 22, 2021. The awards recognize outstanding faculty, staff, colleges, students and student organizations that have made exceptional efforts and contributions in the areas of equity, diversity and inclusion during the course of the academic year.
Traditionally held as a brunch reception, this year’s awards marked the second time that the presentation switched to a virtual format via YouTube Premiere. Remarks from Chancellor Randy Woodson and Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity Sheri Schwab opened the presentation, followed by the awards.
We congratulate all of this year’s nominees and recipients.
- Watch the complete event on our YouTube channel.
The Chancellor’s Creating Community Award for Outstanding Faculty recognizes individuals who demonstrate excellence in the incorporation of diversity and inclusion in teaching, research, service and collaboration.
- Jackie Bruce, Agricultural and Human Sciences
- Claire Gordy, Biological Sciences
- Lara Fountaine, NC State Libraries
- Maria Gallardo-Williams, Chemistry (recipient)
- Daniela Jones, Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Jackie Eunjung Relyea, College of Education
- Alex Valencia, NC State Libraries
- Jelena Vukomanovic, College of Natural Resources
The Chancellor’s Creating Community Award for Outstanding Staff recognizes individuals who demonstrate excellence in the incorporation fo diversity and inclusion beyond their administrative role.
- Dominique Carter, Prevention Services (recipient)
- Diane Chapman, Office of Faculty Development
- Callie Edwards, The Friday Institute
- Jessica Kearney, NC State Extension
- Kimber Lunsford, Forestry and Environmental Resources
- Kyle Pysher, Registration and Records
The Chancellor’s Creating Community Award for Outstanding Student recognizes a student who has incorporated diversity and inclusion efforts beyond their classroom coursework.
- Caitlin Reilly, Courtney Hotchkiss, and Roslynn Powell, Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management (group recipient)
- Kaylie Kirkwood, Chemistry
- Isaiah Moore, Communication
- Coleman Simpson, Public Administration, Agricultural and Extension Education
Outstanding Student Organization
That Chancellor’s Creating Community Award for Outstanding Student recognizes a student organization that has incorporated diversity and inclusion efforts to achieve their organization’s goals.
- Best Buddies
- Pack United (recipient)
- STEM Journal Club
Outstanding College, Organization or Unit
The Chancellor’s Creating Community Award recognizes a college, organization or unit that demonstrates a consistent pattern of commitment to the recruitment, retention and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Alumni Legacy Award
The Alumni Legacy Award recognizes alumni who have demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion and who exemplify NC State’s values of community, diversity, respect and social responsibility in their broader community and/or daily deportment.
- Jake Heffington, Diversity Architecture (DA), Readings on Race