For the second consecutive year, the NC State Women’s Center will coordinate a series of programs for Women’s HERstory Month throughout March. Several major events will highlight this year’s theme, “Finding Our Freedom.” We also invite the NC State community to submit programs occurring during the month to the online calendar.
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. in the Women’s Center, Talley 5210: Join us on International Women’s Day for “You Could Be the First,” a student-led discussion about global leaders and trailblazers in gender equity.
- Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 7:00 p.m., Talley 4140: Come watch “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry,” a movie with a panel discussion.
- Monday, March 20. 2017 at 6:00 p.m., Talley 4140: Attend “Radical Acceptance: Making Peace with Defining Womanhood.” a panel discussion.
- Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:00 p.m., SAS Hall 2203: Keynote speaker, Dorothy Roberts speaks on “Killing the Black Body in Retrospect: Twenty Years of Reproductive Violence and Justice” (see below).
- Thursday, March 30, 2017 from 3:00-5:00 p.m., Talley 4280: Attend a self-care workshop, “Finding Our Freedom to Heal.” Please register with Kimberly Zugay at 919.414.2012.
March 23: Dorothy Roberts
Published in 1997, Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty documents a long history of regulation of Black women’s bodies in the United States, beginning with the legal status of enslaved women as property, and explains its crucial importance to both reproductive and racial politics in America. Twenty years later, these devaluing ideologies, laws and policies have expanded in new guises that help to perpetuate race and gender injustice in the health care, law enforcement, welfare and foster care systems. At the same time, the rise of an exciting reproductive justice movement has provided a new framework for envisioning a more humane and equitable society. Please join us at 7:00 p.m. in SAS Hall, Room 2203 for this presentation.
Submit a Program
- Submit programs through the end of February using the online program submission form.
Calendar & Materials
- See the online calendar at go.ncsu.edu/whm.
- Billboard administrators can load the event billboards onto your local screen from the NC State billboard system.
- Retweet our posts on @NCStateOIED on Twitter and Instagram.
Lisa LaBarbera-Mascote is director of the Women’s Center.