NC State hosted the 16th Annual Carolina Coalition Train-the-Trainer event in October, bringing trainers from regional and national universities to prepare them to facilitate the diversity training developed by the National Coalition Building Institute (NCBI). Fourteen new members joined NC State’s NCBI team. Overall, forty faculty, staff, and students from The Citadel, Wofford University, The University of Alaska at Anchorage, Presbyterian College and NC State participated.
The new team members join the team of 26 faculty, staff and students who present the Building Bridges: Strengthening Leadership for Diverse Communities and Building Bridges: Leading Diverse Groups through Conflict workshops on campus. These workshops, based on the NCBI model for leadership and conflict resolution training utilized on campuses across the United States, create dialogue and work through controversy around issues of diversity. Participants gain insight into how to create dialogue surrounding issues related to diversity, identity, stereotypes, discrimination, the impact of discrimination and how to help others build skills to address discriminatory comments.
Says Erin Morant, program coordinator, “NCBI is a powerful model that has worked across many populations to help individuals understand themselves and others in a way that builds relationships.”
Team members, who hail from departments from all across NC State, work on a volunteer basis and facilitate the workshop throughout the year at scheduled times and by request.
“I am thankful for this experience and excited about the work NCBI does! I am looking forward to being a long-time member of this organization.”
“Thank you all for everything. What a fantastic, emotionally draining, thought-provoking weekend!”
“I would like to thank you both once again for the wonderful training you provided to the group this past weekend. It was a unique experience that I will cherish for a very long time.”
Welcome to the following new members of the NC State NCBI Campus Affiliate Team!
- Micah Anderson, College Advising Corps
- Erin Banks, The Graduate School
- Monica Banks, Office of the Provost
- Valerie Batta, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Jennifer Castillo, Women’s Center
- Shaefny Grays, College of Natural Resources
- Lynda Hambourger, DELTA
- Felysha Jenkins, The Graduate School
- Sarah Langer Hall, Institute for Emerging Issues
- Lynn Lumens, undergraduate, College of Natural Resources
- Howard “Gene” Melton, Department of English
- Erin Morant, Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity
- Regina Williams, College of Education
- Rebecca Woskoff, TRiO Student Support Services
For a list of all of NC State’s NCBI team members, please see NCBI Facilitators at NC State.
For more information about NCBI or to request a workshop for your group, please visit the NCBI website.