The Collective is a space for women of color at NC State to form community, break silos, and deepen relationships through facilitated dialogue centered on truth-telling and testimonies. While the space centers the voices and experiences of women of color, all students are welcome to attend.
Since its creation in 2020, expanding upon the Women of Color Retreat, The Collective has been a platform to explore in depth topics that disproportionately impact women of color, such as body autonomy, sexual health, microaggressions, social/political injustice, healing in movement, etc.
The Collective is co-hosted by the Women’s Center and Prevention Services.
How We Define Women of Color
We understand women of color as women (trans women, cis women, non-binary people, and others) who have experienced gender-based marginalization while also experiencing the current and historical effects of racial and ethnic-based marginalization.
We understand the terms people of color and women of color as both a political, personal, and universal term that brings together many people based on the common, but similar, experiences of racial marginalization within the United States and abroad. We also understand that the experiences of racial and ethnic marginalization differ based on structural issues like class, income, nation, gender and sexuality, religion, skin color, etc.
Join The Collective
The Collective will meet virtually every second and fourth Thursday from 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m, unless otherwise stated below. If you would like to join this community, please complete the registration form.
Spring 2022 Calendar
- January 27: Dreaming for Ourselves (please note this session will take place during an extended timeframe from 5:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., in-person at the AACC, 356 Witherspoon)
- February 10: Galentine’s Day (in-person at the Women’s Center)
- February 24: Career Development
- March 10: Kickin’ It With The Collective – Spring Break Edition
- March 24: Let’s Talk Sex, Baby! Let’s Talk About You & Me or Just Me!
- April 14: : Trap Yoga (in-person, location TBD)