Pronoun Buttons

Transgender Resource Roadmap

This page provides our transgender, non-binary, agender, genderqueer, and gender questioning students, faculty, and staff the information needed to successfully navigate their NC State experience.

To assist in these efforts, the GLBT Center has collected procedures and commonly asked questions about navigating NC State as a transgender student, faculty, staff, or alumni member. We continually advocate for changes to inequitable policies while also providing transparency to help students navigate their NC State experience.  We know there are multiple policies and practices disproportionately impacting our trans students, faculty, and staff in a number of areas. Click on the tabs below to learn more about the trans issues in each university setting, key points of contact, and ongoing advocacy efforts to change the policies.

Trans Support Team

GLBT Center
Andy DeRoin, assistant director

Counseling Center
Dr. Richard Tyler-Walker, assistant director

University Housing
Chris Mears, assignments coordinator

University Recreation
Katie Belusa, coordinator of wellness programs

Student Health Services
Dr. Julie Ann Casani, director of medical services

Information for Students

Do I have to legally change my name to have a different name appear on NC State-associated records?

While a person’s legal name is used by default, NC State University recognizes that, as a community, many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a preferred name can and should be used wherever appropriate in the course of university business and education. Students, faculty, and staff may choose to identify themselves within the university community with displayed first, middle and/or last names that differ from their legal names.

The displayed name will appear instead of the legal name in university systems and documents except where the use of the legal name is required by university or legal requirement. This includes MyPack Portal, Gmail, Moodle, class rosters, and other course management systems. It is important to know the displayed name will be visible to those granted parental access to MyPack Portal.

Individuals are free to determine the displayed names by which they want to be known within the university community. However, inappropriate use of a displayed name by an individual will result in removal of the displayed name from that individual’s record. Inappropriate use includes names that attempt to avoid legal obligation, misrepresent the individual, harass, threaten or are otherwise objectionable.

Please visit Student Services for additional information and instructions.

Can I get a new ID card with my displayed name?

Yes, you can get a new ID card with your displayed name at no cost to you. Visit the One Card Office in Talley Student Union and say you need to update your card because you changed your name. If you need or want an ID card with your legal name on it to show to family or friends who don’t know you by your chosen name, we suggest you get an ID card with your legal name before updating your displayed name to receive a new ID card.

How do I update my displayed name in MyPack Portal?

For Students, you can update your preferred name in the MyPack portal. Go to MyPack portal > Student homepage > Personal Information tile > Personal Details

Please visit Student Services for additional information and instructions.

Can I update my name in Zoom?

Zoom should use your displayed name if you entered one. However, if you have not entered one you can still change your name for a single Zoom meeting by asking the host to enable the option for participants to “rename” themselves. 

Can my parents/guardians see my displayed name?

If you have granted your parents/guardians access to your records via MyPack Portal, they will be able to see your displayed name in MyPack Portal or emails/mailing communications from NC State.

I received an email/mail from NC State that used the wrong displayed name. What can I do to correct this?

Unfortunately, NC State is very decentralized when it comes to how displayed names are used across campus. This is something the GLBT Center is working with our campus partners to fix. You can help us identify and fix these issues by reporting instances of deadnaming to

Can I change my Unity ID?

Your Unity ID will reflect your legal name at the time of enrollment. Updating your preferred name will not change the Unity ID itself but will change how your name is displayed. If your name is “John David Wolf” at the time of enrollment, your Unity ID could be “jdwolf” and “John” will appear on Moodle, Gmail, etc. Let’s say you really go by Brianna Wolf. You can enter “Brianna” into the preferred name field in MyPack Portal and see the correct name on Moodle, Gmail, etc. However, your Unit ID will still be jdwolf. The GLBT Center Director can request your Unity ID be renamed. The Rename process will update the ID and does not require a legal name change

Rename Procedure

*You must be logged in to the MyPack portal to view this page.

For questions or assistance  please email

Can I list my pronouns and gender identity somewhere?

You can enter your pronouns and gender identity in MyPack Portal. All students have the option to self-select their personal pronouns and gender identity in MyPack Portal. These fields are entirely optional and not required to update. If a student decides to select pronouns, this information will be visible administratively via class rosters, grade rosters and within the advising center.  Personal pronouns and gender identity may potentially be shared with authorized university officials, but are not considered directory information and will not be released to unauthorized third-party contacts. Parents or guardians granted access through MyPack Portal, as well as peer students, should not be able to view this information via their individual system access.

What gender identity and pronoun options are available?

The gender identity options are: agender, gender fluid, genderqueer, man, non-binary, self-entered, two-spirit,  and woman. If you choose to enter a different gender identity, simply enter the term most appropriate to describe your gender.

The pronoun options are: he/him/his, she/her/hers, they/them/theirs, ze/hir/hirs, and self entered. If you choose to enter a different pronoun, simply enter the set you use.

How do I update my pronouns and gender identity in MyPack Portal?

The steps are fairly easy! Sign in to MyPack Portal and navigate to your Student Homepage. Select the “Personal Information” tile and click on the “Pronoun/Gender Identity” option. Select the appropriate options from the dropdown menu(s). Click “Save.”

For more information on the use of pronouns and gender identity, please visit

Can I list my pronouns on Zoom?

You can enter your pronouns in your Zoom profile at Log in with your NC State credentials, click “Profile” in the upper left sidebar, click “edit” and enter your pronouns in the indicated field. You can also indicate if you want Zoom to ask you every time before displaying your pronouns in a meeting or webinar, display your pronouns always without asking, or never display your pronouns in a meeting or webinar.

Are there rules or laws about which restroom facilities I can use?

No, in North Carolina there is no law one way or the other about which restroom facilities someone can use. You may have heard of House Bill 2 from a few years ago that required people to use the restroom associated with their sex assigned at birth, but this law is no longer in effect. You can use the restroom you are comfortable using. Common restroom facilities across campus include multiple-occupancy men’s and women’s restrooms and gender-inclusive single-occupancy options.

Where can I find gender-inclusive single-occupancy restrooms?

The map of gender-inclusive single-occupancy restrooms can be found at 

What are the policies that impact me as a trans student living on-campus?

It is important for you to know that we are operating under a ban on gender-inclusive housing across the entire UNC System. That means that NC State is required to house students in accordance with the gender on your university record.

How does NC State help trans student navigate this policy?

University Housing works to create an inclusive environment for all students and to find the most comfortable living situation for LGBTQIA+ students. You can talk through your housing options by connecting with Andy DeRoin ( or Chris Mears ( It is best if you reach out to us as soon as you think you might be needing on-campus housing.

What kind of housing options are available on campus?

There are four main types of housing styles on campus: 1) apartments, hotel residence hall, suite residence hall, and traditional residence hall. Click here to see the three floorplans for residence hall options. When picking which one is best for you, it is important to think about what is a priority for you in terms of privacy for sleeping and restrooms/showers. 

The most private option is an apartment-style. In an apartment, you will have your own room and will share a single-person bathroom with one other person. This is like a four-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment. You can lock your room and lock the bathroom.

The second-most private option is a hotel-style. In this style, you would have a roommate but you would share a single-person bathroom that you can lock. 

A suite-style room is a very common configuration on campus. An external door enters into a short hallway with a bathroom on one end and double rooms on either side. You would have a roommate and you would share the bathroom with others in your suite. Suite-style bathrooms are meant to be used by multiple people at once, so they have multiple toilets, sinks, and showers. A suite agreement can be made to negotiate more privacy in the bathroom (ex. Don’t come in when someone is in the shower).

The traditional hall style has a floor of double rooms and gendered bathrooms meant to be used by multiple people at once. There are no locks on the main entry doors to the bathrooms, so you don’t need your room key to enter either bathroom.

Are there any LGBTQIA+ Living Learning Villages?

Currently, there is not an LGBTQIA+ Living Learning Village. It is something for which the GLBT Center continues to advocate.

What’s the overall process for starting hormones if I use Student Health Services?

NC State Student Health Services (SHS) is committed to providing effective evidence-based healthcare to all students as they navigate their college experiences. For transgender students, we provide medical health care and support in exploring gender identity and decision-making regarding gender expression, social transition, and/or medical transition. Our work is informed by current standards published by UpToDate, WPath (World Professional Association for Transgender Health), and UCSF (University of California at San Francisco) protocols. SHS strictly adheres to Federal HIPAA laws concerning protected health information.

I am currently taking hormones, but I want get my prescription through SHS. What do I have to do?

You are able to transfer your care to SHS. You will need to provide all available past medical records related to your hormones or other transition-related medications/procedures. This is to verify the medical dosage and pertinent history and lab work. If this information cannot be obtained or you have been self-dosing without a prescription, you will be referred to an endocrinologist for re-establishment of hormone therapy.

I have student health insurance. What is and is not covered?

Hormone therapy is covered under student health insurance. Surgical procedures are not covered at this time, but SHS and the GLBT Center continually advocate for more comprehensive insurance coverage.

What do the consent forms look like for hormone therapy?

The links below will take you to the consent forms adopted by SHS:

Informed Consent for Estrogen Therapy
Informed Consent for Testosterone Therapy

What is the process like at the Counseling Center?

The NC State Counseling Center is committed to providing effective evidence-based mental healthcare to all students as they navigate their college experiences. For transgender students, we provide mental health care and support in exploring gender identity and making decisions regarding gender expression, social transition, and/or medical transition. Our work is informed using the current World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care (SoC) as well as consideration of the Informed Consent for Access to Trans Health (ICATH) movement. The Counseling Center strictly adheres to Federal HIPAA laws concerning protected health information.

Per the NC State Counseling Center policy, students may receive a letter of support for hormone therapy. One of the NC State Counseling Center clinicians must meet with a student before providing a letter of support. With appropriate consent obtained, a clinical assessment to assess the incongruence between one’s experienced gender and one’s assigned sex as well as any mental health concerns will be provided. This assessment is typically completed over several sessions. Sessions will also include exploring information related to the social and medical changes associated with hormone therapy as well as referrals for local endocrinologists.

To make an appointment with a clinician in the Counseling Center, students initiating services for the first time are asked to walk in to the Counseling Center to meet with a triage clinician who will set up an appointment for therapy. Students who are already engaged in treatment at the Counseling Center are encouraged to speak with their clinician.

Can I get individual counseling around my gender identity? Are there therapists who can help me?

Yes, there are quite a few therapists who specialize in counseling LGBTQIA+ clients. You can request to speak with someone who has experience with gender-related counseling when you make your appointment.

Are there group counseling services available?

There are two LGBTQIA+ counseling groups available through the Counseling Center. Transcending and Connecting is a professionally-led counseling group for transgender, non-binary, agender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and gender questioning students. There is also the LGBTQQ Counseling Group, a professional-led group for students who identify under the LGBTQQ umbrella. Contact the Counseling Center at (919) 515- 2423 for more information about joining these groups.

What other services are available?

During a regular year, the GLBT Center hosts Conversations with a Counselor every Tuesday from 2-4 PM.

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency between 8am-5pm, please call (919) 515-2423. For after-hours mental health emergencies, call the same number,  (919) 515-2423, and select option #2 to speak with an on-call counselor. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, call 911.

For more information, please visit 

Below is a quick overview of the resources the GLBT Center and NC State has to offer.

Campus Organizations

GLBT CommUNITY Alliance (GLBTCA): the GLBT student organization
T-Files: a peer-led support group for those who identify under the transgender umbrella
QTPOC: A space for queer and trans people of color to find support and explore the intersections of identity
Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM): for those who are LGBTQ and majoring or working in a STEM field
Aces and Aros: a peer interest group for students on the asexual and/or aromantic spectra
Bi/Pan @ NCSU: a peer interest group for bisexual and pansexual students
GLBT Faculty/Staff Network: community for GLBT faculty and staff

Sexuality and Gender Centers

GLBT Center
Talley Student Union, Suite 5230

Women’s Center
Talley Student Union, Suite 5210

Counseling Services

  • Drop-In Counseling Hours (at GLBT Center) every Tuesday from 2-4 PM
  • Individual and Group Counseling (Counseling Center)
  • Transcending and Connecting: a professionally-led counseling group for transgender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and gender questioning students. Contact Dr. Jennifer Glassmire-Policari for more information.
  • LGBTQQ Counseling Group: a professionally-led counseling group for students who identity under the LGBTQQ umbrella. Contact Dr. Richard Tyler-Walker for more information.
  • On-Call Counselor after business hours: (919) 515-3000

Harassment Support / Response

Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED)
Department of Student and Community Standards

University Housing works to create an inclusive environment for all students. We work with students on an individual basis. To talk through your Housing assignment or Housing needs please contact Evelyn Buck at 919-515-2440.

How do I navigate Wellness and Recreation as a transgender student?

Wellness and Recreation can update their system with a different picture at any time. Members are able to request a Wellness and Recreation ID card with their new photo. Additionally, the system does not list the gender of any members.

Transgender students are free to use the locker rooms and restrooms in accordance with their gender identity. Additionally, two gender-inclusive, single-occupancy restrooms and one gender-inclusive, single-occupancy locker room are available for use.

What if I want to participate in Intramural or Club Sports?

Intramural Sports:
All students, faculty and staff can participate in the gender-specific league that affirms each participant’s personal gender identity. Non-binary transgender participants may play in the league they feel is most appropriate for them regardless of medical transition. The participant’s gender identity will also be applied when there are gender-specific rules or player ratio requirements in co-recreational leagues. Any matters that may arise in regards to gender identity within Intramural Sports participation can be subject to review on a case-by-case basis by the Assistant Director, Sports Programs in conjunction with NC State GLBT Center. All Intramural Sports participants are subject to the NC State University non-discrimination policies. If complaints of discrimination or harassment arise to Sports Programs Professional Staff, they will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct (for complaints against students) or to the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (for complaints against employees).

Club Sports:
The Club Sports Program holds the equality and inclusion of participants in the highest regard. Every participant has the right to an unbiased and fair opportunity to play. When an activity makes a gender designation, an individual can participate based on their self-identified gender identity and is done in good faith. Be aware that many National Governing Bodies or Leagues that clubs participate in may have their own policies regarding participating in competition, so please inquire with your specific organization or consult with the Assistant Director, Sports Programs when necessary.

What are the accommodations for travel with University Recreation?

In regards with my club sport, on an outdoor adventures trip, etc.?

Transgender students generally should be assigned to share hotel rooms or other lodging based on their gender identity, with recognition that any student who needs extra privacy be accommodated whenever possible. If you have additional questions or concerns, please reach out to Katie Belusa, Coordinator of Wellness Programs at

How do I handle being in class?

The first few weeks of class are always hard. You have to decide what you are comfortable sharing about your gender identity with your professor and classmates. The GLBT Center is here to help. Staff members can help you figure out what you want to say and how you want to say it. We can even meet with your professor on your behalf.

What do I do if the name I use in class is different from the one on the class roster or Moodle?

If you are comfortable, you can email the professor before the first day of class to introduce yourself and disclose that your name on official records is different from the name you go by, as well as request the use of your correct pronouns. Many professors are understanding about the need to use your correct name/pronouns from the first day of class. However, also be prepared to correct them when they make mistakes. Do so in a polite and matter-of-fact way. It’s frustrating in the meantime, but they will retrain their brains eventually. For information about how to update your preferred name in university records, click on the Name Change tab above.

It is also possible to unofficially change your name on many university systems. However, this change is not the same as a legal name-change and is not able to change financial aid records, official transcripts or Human Resources/on-campus employment records. See the “Name Change” tab for more information.

Can I see an example of an email to send to professors about my name and pronouns?

There are many ideas online for how to approach a professor in an email. Below is a template to get you started.

Dear Professor [Last Name],

My name is [Your Name], and I am in your course [Course Title and Number] that is held on [days] at [time] this [term]. I am transgender and have not legally changed my name. My legal name [Your Legal First and Last Name] will appear on your roster and in Moodle. I would greatly appreciate it if you refer to me as [Your Name] and use [pronouns] when referring to me. I am also working with the GLBT Center to get my name updated on Moodle. [OPTIONAL: It is my goal for my classmates to only know me as [Your Name], and your help in this is greatly appreciated. OR I am comfortable with my classmates knowing I am transgender. OR I am comfortable with my classmates knowing I am transgender, and I am comfortable answering any questions as they arise. OR another sentence that captures your comfort level] Thank you for your understanding, and please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to starting your course next week.


[Your Name]

What if my professor or classmates are not willing to use my correct name or pronouns?

If someone refuses to use your correct name or pronouns, this is a violation of the NC State Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy. This type of behavior can and should be reported to the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity. The NC State Student Services Center has a great resource on pronouns and gender identity that can also be used as guidance.